Thursday, February 27, 2014

{Throw Back Thursday} Island Style

I found this letter to family and friends in my files and thought I would share on my blog. Remember while reading this that I was only 20-something and it was pre-Facebook!

If I get a chance, I'll scan some pictures.



Christmas '98

Dear Family and Friends,

Hafa Adai and a Merry Christmas to you! I’ve tried to send warm greetings with this letter, but I was wondering if someone could send me some snow – wishful thinking, I know. The weather outside is not very frightful, and we definitely don’t need any fire to warm us – the sun is hot enough. I’ve been on the island of Guam now since July 21st, and I’m continuing to adjust to this lovely tropical climate. Changing of seasons doesn’t exist in the weather forecast out here, except for rain or no rain.

I’m sure some of you would like an update on my job here at Harvest Christian Academy. In July I started working as an accounts receivable clerk in the Main Office, but I was soon bored with just taking money from people.J As of the second week in September, I was moved to the School Office to be one of two secretaries up here.

My official title, if you will, is Middle School Secretary, which basically means I am in charge of 550 students' academic records. I also keep track of attendance for that many students: filling out tardy forms in the morning and recording attendance in the computer. Another part of my job is working for the Middle School Principal. Since November 13th I’ve been the only secretary up here because the High School Secretary is on maternity leave for six weeks. Needless to say, I’ve kept very busy.

Christmas vacation plans are to go to the beach, go the beach again, and go the beach some more! Some of my great new friends and I are also planning to go on a deep sea fishing expedition for a few hours some weekend soon. I think someone is also planning a jungle hike sometime during the break, as well.

Through a special WorldPerks/Northwest mileage promotion, Jennifer will be able to come out here to Guam for about a week in February. I’m really looking forward to showing her the island and introducing her to the Harvest Family.

Starting a life “on my own” was a big step, considering how far I've come (almost 10,000 miles!), but I love every minute! I’d also love to hear from you. I especially like real mail, but I’ll settle for e-mail! J

Miss you all!

Love,
BEKAH

P.O. Box 23189, Barrigada, GU 96921
Home: 671/472-9649 Work: 671/477-6341
rflaming56@hotmail.com












No comments: