Friday, January 17, 2014

{Flip Side} of Workouts

I've told you how great Fit Body Boot Camp is, but you should know the challenges, as well.

I have come to understand that the hard work of losing weight is consistent workouts and eating right. With this post I'd like to focus on the hard work of workouts; I'll save the eating right for another day.


Knee pain, back pain, arm pain, leg pain, ibuprofen, ice packs, and rest are all components of my hard work with Fit Body.


If you've never done a boot camp or any regular exercise, I just want you to know, there will be pain. And, again I'm going to say it: THERE WILL BE PAIN.

I don't have a magic time frame of WHEN the pain will stop (and maybe for some it never does), but the pain mostly goes away after a while...mmm, but then it comes back. OK, yes, it goes away again...but then it comes back, again. And you know what? You kind of like it when it does, as long as it doesn't stay too long. From my perspective pain seems to be a way for you to know that you are working your muscles, gaining new muscles, and getting you stronger.



Setting goals and focused workouts


I believe to accomplish a goal, you need to work hard and follow a system to see completion. Last January, I put on my goal list to lose 50 lbs. I've been writing this down for a few years in a row so it wasn't a new goal. What I failed to do those last few years was set down a clear process for myself to get there.

This year, while I had regular exercise in my weekly plan, I didn't really know what I was doing. A little bit of elliptical, a little bit of weight lifting, and all without instructions or a clear plan. I also did not track what I ate. 

That's where Fit Body came in the picture and gave me FOCUS. Workouts were 30 minutes in and done. Sometimes I would do two sessions, but that didn't happen until some of the pain had died down. Not that I was in pain during the workouts. The trainers, of course, told you that you should listen to your body and not continue if you were in pain. The pain I'm referring to was the pain that comes afterwards - the stiff muscles, the sore back, the knees that talked back when you go up and down stairs, etc.



I here to tell you, that the pain is worth it. Even when you go to bed every night (after a soak in the tub) with ice packs and ibuprofen. Oh, and you read that correctly, ice packs. As in more than one. 

So the lesson from me to you is simply this: don't be afraid of a little pain. 

What some others have had to say about pain:


“Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!” – Unknown
“Fall down seven times, get up eight” -Chinese proverb
“Pain is only weakness leaving the body” – Unknown
“Strength is the product of struggle” – Unknown
“How am I to know what I can achieve if I quit? – Unknown
“Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you” – Ovid
“The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground” – Unknown 
“It’s about mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it don’t matter” -Unknown
“There are only two options regarding commitment, you’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Unknown 
“And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” – Revelation 21:4 

This post in no way prohibits or excludes me from complaining about said pain. 

No comments: