Tuesday, May 21, 2013

{Recipe} Peanut Butter Protein Power Ball

After trying these at Jen's one day, I was hooked. If you like eating cookie dough, this will definitely be something you like, too!

In the past three and a half months I've made a version of this recipe three times. On my third try, I think I found my permanent version. :)

You can find the original recipe here and work out your own version, OR read on to learn my secrets! ;)

The ingredients come in quantities for about 4-5 batches. It's worked really well for me to make up a batch, split it into two bags, freeze one bag and take the other bag to work. I keep it in the refrigerator and pull one or two protein balls out when I need a snack mid-afternoon or some protein after a workout.

Pictured below is the finished product, the ingredients, and how much mess this recipe makes - you're welcome! :)

Click to Enlarge


Peanut Butter Protein Power Ball Recipe 

Ingredients:
1 cup Peanut Butter (I’m using up a huge jar I have from Aldi, but all natural would be better for you)

4 scoops of Protein Powder (I’d like to try chocolate sometime, but so far I’ve only used vanilla)

1 cup of Honey (Anyone know where to get local honey?)

1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

3-4 Cups of the Following Ingredients:  

Almonds

Peanuts

Mini-Chocolate Chips (The first two times I made this I used regular-sized chocolate chips, but I think the mini will work the best)

Oatmeal

Flax Seed (ground)

Directions:
Mix the protein powder, honey, vanilla extract, and peanut butter together in a bowl. You can use an electric mixer or food processor if you want, but a strong spoon will suffice as well. If you decide to use granulated sweetener instead of liquid sweetener you may have to add a drop of water, just to thin out the mixture a bit. If you have used a particularly oily brand of natural peanut butter, you might need to add more protein powder.

Next add all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips to blender and blend for rough texture (I use whole almonds and peanuts and I prefer not to bit into a huge piece). Pour half of blended ingredients and all of the chocolate chips into peanut butter/honey mixture and mix together with large spoon or spatula. Add remaining blended ingredients and mix together until mixed thoroughly. If you have used all 4 cups of additional ingredients, you might need to add more honey.

Roll scoops of the batter into balls. Place balls onto wax paper and put in freezer for a 10-15 minutes. Store peanut butter protein balls in a Ziplock bag. Refrigerate or freeze them if you want them to stay round.

Makes approximately 30 balls about one inch in diameter.
 
Enjoy!!

 

No comments: