Monday, January 30, 2012

{lesson on how to pray}


Sunday evening's sermon by Sam Horn was part 2. Here's part 1 which I didn't hear since I was home sick.

I'm including my notes, but I don't know that it does the actual sermon justice or explain how much this has impacted my prayer life in the last 24 hours.

Matthew 6:9-15
9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.10  Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.11  Give us this day our daily bread.12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

A Patter to Guide Our Prayers
  • who we ought to pray to
    • to God Himself
    • not to humans
  • what are we to pray for
    • something true in heaven that we want to see on earth
A Patter Reveals A Set of Priorities
  • adjust our prayers to reflect these priorities
    • exaltation of God's name
    • excecution of God's righteous will to be done
Petitions
  • daily provisions
    • ask, why do I want more if I haven't used what He gave me already 
    • for His purposes
  • forgiveness
  • protection
Attributes
  • you'll never exhaust Him

No comments: