Saturday, April 19, 2008

i know mistakes = humility

At work I've been dealing with "knowing just enough to be dangerous", at least that's how I've come to think of it. I've been at my job for 10 months now and have learned a lot. I've learned so much about so many things and I have more and more business in progress or business activity that I'm responsible for.

The past few weeks several mistakes have been brought to my attention either from my boss, a client, or another company I deal with in the business I process. Some of the mistakes have cost my company money. Some have just cost me a little embarrassment. None of the mistakes have been detrimental to me, the company or clients, but they were mistakes just the same. I don't know about you, but I know I don't like mistakes. I don't like to do things twice, and I certainly don't like to hear about mistakes that I've made.

In Sunday School we've been studying a book by Martha Peace, "Attitudes of a Transformed Heart." We've had a couple of weeks off while our church went through a pastoral candidate process, but now we're back to our regular schedule. The chapter we are studying for this week is titled "The Attitudes of a Humble Heart". One might think, "oh, this should be an easy chapter. I'm haven't done anything that I'm too proud of!" Boy would one be wrong if they thought that!

Here's a little summary of what I learned:

Be aware

I think Martha hit it right when she said we need to PRAY for humility. Since our attitude is related to how we think and what we think about, if we are praying for humility, we are thinking about humility. When we think of humility we can be reminded of Christ's example and pray for God's grace to be humble.

Be wrong

"Help me to understand" should be my thought. Not to vindicate myself, but to clarify. Remember, Jesus' prayer, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42). It may not just or right in our eyes, but it may be what God wants.

Be teachable

Teach me! or Teach me. The more we know about God and His Word, the more we should want to learn.

Be selfless

Philippians 2:3-4, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

Be grateful

How often do you shout to yourself or others, "Look what God did!"? (Too often it's more like, "Look, look what I did! Yep, look what I accomplished on my own!!")

Be worshipping

The story of the two men (Pharisee and tax collector) who went to pray has sometimes made me think, "good thing I'm not like that guy who prayed so everyone could hear him!" Funny thing, that kind of thinking is just like him!

Be willing
Suffering for Jesus' sake my not seem human, but it is Christian (Christ-like).

Hopefully these are quick, practical tips we can remember as we pray for humility each day.

No comments: