Sunday, March 11, 2012

{7 Things to Know}

Another edition of 7 Things to Know...
  1. One of my goals for this year was to blog more. As a regular reader, you know that I have been blogging more in the past 6 weeks via my weekly 7 Things posts. I've been working all week on a new feature for my blog and it will be revealed on Tuesday. Hope you enjoy it! ...and I hope I can keep it going!
  2. A Few Good Reads
  3. Tune My Heart - Don't forget about our upcoming Deo Cantamus concert on Saturday, March 24th! We had two rehearsals this weekend. Since my dad is also singing, it was nice to have my parents in town again!
  4. A friend posted a link on Facebook to the Olive Garden restaurant review in Grand Forks, ND that went viral. 
    • Did you read it yet? 
    • My dad can probably relate to this review since he's done a few restaurant reviews when he worked for the McPherson Sentinel about 10 years ago.
  5. I worked out 3 times this week and was excited when I exceeded my 400 calorie burn goal 2 out of the three times.
  6. I'm ready for Spring. Last week we had a snow storm and this week we hit 50 degrees. Growing up in the Midwest, I don't expect to have much of a Spring, but a girl can dream...
  7. I attended a self-defense class this week. It was the first time I've ever done something like this. I tried to take notes on my phone, but I don't think I did a very good job. Here are some key things that I remember: 
  8. Julie, the instructor's assistant bulldog
    • Per the instructor, a lot of people are apathetic and think "it can't happen to me", so they don't believe it when it does happen and they freeze. The better thinking would be "it might happen to me".
    • We learned a bit about the central nervous system (brain, spine) and that there is a spinal reflex for every injury: the body moves away, hands move to the injury, the eyes move to the injury. If you kick someone in the gut, they bend over, their hands go toward the pain, and they look down toward the pain.When injury occurs, it should give you time to get away.
    • The goal is to injure the attacker, not just cause pain.
    • Be observant/aware, make eye contact with those around you.
    • Most of the class was listening to the instructor but the end of the class we got to try out a few moves. There's more to learn, but it was a good beginning.


No comments: