Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9-11

September 11, 2001 


My Memory:

10 years ago I was just back from Guam about 3 months. Just about a month (maybe just a few weeks?) earlier I had started working at a large, local insurance company in McPherson, KS where my parents lived and worked. I remember sitting at my desk and realizing that the speakers had been turned up so we could hear the radio. They were describing what was happening, while it was happening. It didn't seem real. I remember going home at lunch and watching the towers collapse. Dad was home for lunch too. Mom actually worked with the local EMTs' headquarters. I don't really remember much else from that day except maybe a lot of TV watching and sitting at the edge of our seats wondering if something else would happen. 

I remembered flying that November to Minneapolis to spend Thanksgiving with Jen and Eric, Anna and Jess. I'm sure I was a little anxious about that first flight, but the reality was just a little extra security that soon became our new normal. I also remember a snow storm kept me in Minneapolis an extra day.

That following January I moved to Minneapolis. I only lived there four months though because there were no office jobs to be found. I worked a temp job until I lost my roommate and couldn't afford to live by myself: Anna had lived with me but decided to go back to college. She had decided to become a cop. Not sure if her career choice had anything to do with 9-11 or not.

Another's Memory:

Thank God for testimonies like this that give us
great hope for the days in which we live. -Darrel L. Flaming




What's Your 9-11 Memory? 

No comments: