Saturday, May 28, 2011

{The Rest of the Week}

Yes, the Busy Week Continues…

Ahhhh, Wednesday...a day full of work and meetings, and, oh yes, the Intern's first day! In between the work pile and the meetings I was teaching the intern how to scan. Since it’s not rocket science, the intern seemed to catch on fairly quickly and even seem to master the naming and filing of the scans (we have an extensive filing tree)!

For the scanning project there are only 10 full file drawers left of old files to scan. I’ve been working on the scanning since I started – 4 years ago! Obviously it’s not a project I’ve worked on every day, but for at least 2 of the years I made serious effort to scan an average of 3 files per week.

At the beginning of 2010 I had thought that another staff member was supposed to be helping me so I had hope that we would be done by fall that year. Nope, it didn’t happen. That staff person never made time in their week to do any scanning. Not even a little. I’m a team player and was very discouraged that fall when we still weren’t done with the project. It was around that time that my boss got the idea for his daughter to help with scanning. Strike two – between her school work, job at Target and some problems with her jaw (TMJ), and the fact that scanning is boring, she didn’t last but a few times in the office.

Continuing with the adventure that was this week...

On Thursday, the Intern's second day, I found a random task for him to do – stick labels on file folders that we are reusing – while I worked through my morning routine and prioritized my tasks for the day. He then hit the ground running with scanning. I felt kind of bad because I didn’t pay much attention to him that day. Since the first part of the week had been so not normal, I had a lot of things to catch up on and he also seemed like he had a good handle on things. I would check on him through out the day but he’s a quiet one and didn’t have much to say! Hope he comes back next week!

Finally Friday. Friday my boss was back. He’d been gone all week (which is one reason I didn’t think I would be that busy at work – boy, was I wrong!) to Texas with his wife and daughter. His daughter was getting treatment at a chiropractor who specializes in TMJ. They’ve been working on this problem for a long time and none of the treatments have worked so far.

The number of green folders (business to process) that were on my desk on Friday were more than I had seen in quite sometime. I guess all week I had been adding them to my boss’s inbox not thinking that I would see them all back on my desk the same day he got back! Plus he had more for me! On top of that I had left messages for a couple of clients about rescheduling appointments and they had to call me when I wasn’t at my desk which meant I had to call them back. Not being a phone-lover, the tasks for phone calls always seem to stack up and then I’m frantically trying to get them done before I leave at the end of the day.

I had every intention of leaving work on Friday at 4 (or earlier if we were allowed as sometimes is before a holiday) but leaving the phone calls to the end and not factoring in that they would want to discuss more than just the calendar, I ended up scrambling to get out the door by 4:05. In all reality I could have been there another two hours finishing up stuff from the week, but it was a holiday weekend! And I had evening plans!

I made it home in time to change and turn around and head back downtown with Lindsay. Me, Lindsay, her mom Cheryl, and Cheryl’s friend Shirley were meeting downtown for dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory and then hitting rush line at the GUTHRIE to get tickets for Arsenic and Old Lace.

Dinner was great! Lindsay and I got there first and ordered. Since were ordering for all and all sharing what we ordered, we chose three entrees that OSF listed as their SPECIALTIES: chicken marsala, lasagna, and a garlic mizithra spaghetti. Each entrĂ©e came with bread, salad or soup, tea or coffee, and a dish of ice cream. Everything was delicious! We had a little left over but we were all so pleasantly filled that we didn’t even want to take it with us.

We walked a few blocks to the Guthrie and got in line for rush tickets. Our wait was only about ½ hour, I think, and then we purchased good seats for about $25 which is about ½ price! Not bad, not bad at all!

The set was awesome! The stage had seating on 3 sides. The costumes were believable. The actors were excellent: Aunt Abby and Aunt Martha were a good pair of entertainers for sure. Mortimer was spot on. Teddy was Teddy. Elaine was delightful. The police were funny! Jonathan was scary. Dr. Einstein was quirky. Mr. Witherspoon is dead, or is he? If you don’t know who I’m talking about, well, you’re just gonna have to see that play!

Here are a few pics from the evening:


Oh, and I'll leave you with this short clip I found of the play - enjoy!

No comments: