Thursday, April 14, 2011

{Reply to a Dear Friend}

Below is an edited version of my reply to a private blog post...personal specifics have been redacted.

Hey - I'm still mulling this one over...

Mostly thoughts that are coming to me are about how we react to circumstances...I know I struggle with this, but then I'm mostly just able to relate to the daily stuff, not something as big as [situation redacted]...

On the way to work I heard the usual Faith Minute broadcast and thought I'd share with you:
At first glance it’s easy to think that courage and fear are contradictory traits. But that’s not necessarily true. Brave soldiers often admit to being scared in battle. Humans are complex creatures. We can mean well and behave badly.


On the night Jesus was arrested, Peter courageously followed Jesus to his trial. Peter was a fisherman suddenly surrounded by sophisticated and powerful people. He realized he was in over his head and he got scared. When asked about Jesus, Peter denied even knowing him.


Most of us have walked in Peter’s sandals. Under stress we have denied our most cherished principles. Call it the “Peter Syndrome.” But remember, Peter didn’t stay afraid. After the resurrection, he found total forgiveness from Jesus – and we can too.
Peter was faced with a bigger than himself situation - I like how they said it, "He realized he was in over his head and he got scared."

That would definitely be me if I was in his/your shoes. Ah, but here's the kicker: "But remember, Peter didn’t stay afraid."

I think that's you! You're not staying afraid. You've found forgiveness in Jesus. [Name redacted] can too. (And you and I aren't responsible for him.)

I think I'm going to take time later today to read the additional stuff (as opposed to what I normally do - just listen to the "faithminute") b/c there's more to think on and learn from Peter.

Something else that was shared on fb yesterday was this guy. He's dealing with cancer. Not really the same category but also has to do with reacting to our circumstances. This video was a blessing. I ended up watching a few of his updates b/c it was encouraging.

Back to you...I'm not sure I've fully digested all that you wrote, nor do I think that I HAVE to. I know your writing is largely healing for you and doesn't need my approval - haha :) Seriously, I believe you're on a right path, my dear...especially concerning reactions to circumstances that are bigger than you.

I wish I could change those circumstances, but none of us can. I can pray that God will change the circumstances. I do pray that. But He doesn't have to. Um, that's a tough pill for me to swallow. But GOD can get the GLORY (whether we react well or not...?!)

2 Corinthians 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Thanks, friend, for challenging my thinking today. I hope I'll react well to whatever circumstances come my way today.

lots of love,
~b

No comments: