Saturday, August 7, 2010

{Book Review} Sarah's Garden By Kelly Long



I review for BookSneeze
This is my second book review for Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze. My first review was for The Noticer by Andy Andrews. I love reading. I love free stuff. I enjoy writing. So BookSneeze seems like a great idea to me! 

Sarah's Garden A Patch of Heaven Novel
By Kelly Long

When Sarah realizes that she has fallen in love with an Englisch doctor, she must choose between her family and her forbidden love.

Deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s Allegheny Mountains, shy Sarah King is happiest when working in her vibrant Amish kitchen garden, but new family responsibilities lead her into the confusing world of the Englisch.

Sarah finds her life turned around when she encounters the community’s new Englisch veterinarian, Grant Williams. His blue-gold eyes and his obvious concern for her people attract her immediately. Sarah seeks solace and direction from the Lord as she creates a quilt pattern which details her struggle between two worlds.

The Lord is guiding Sarah to follow His will, but will she listen?

My Review

My parents live in "Amishville" (they purchased land from Amish and built their house across the street from Amish), so I find occasional opportunities to learn more about them. I enjoyed reading the Sarah's Garden for that reason. 

The characters were mostly Sarah's family and a few community members that she interacted with. I believe this is the first in a series, so I'm eager to see the number of characters expand as we possibly meet other community members. 

The author portrayed Sarah as extremely sheltered and described her seeing more of the world when she took charge of her family's fruit/vegetable stand. I had a hard time imagining that she saw much more of the world by working at the fruit/vegetable stand. Even though she is portrayed very sheltered, I do like her character, a lot. It might be her love for gardening that endears me to her...even though I'm not a gardener at all. Maybe it's because I  admire people who can grow things! :)

So I can't leave out the romance! There was, of course, the Englisch man who Sarah falls in love with. She isn't given a chance to risk her world turning up-side-down because he leaves! I'll let you read the book to find out if and how the romance has a happy ending!

Recommendation: Good Read!


No comments: