Thursday, December 25, 2008

gifts

I like giving gifts. I like getting them too, of course, but I really enjoy picking out gifts for a specific person and then watching them open the gift. Sounds like I'm a person who might shop all year for Christmas gifts, but for now, I'm not. Maybe some day I will be...

My secret gift-giving wish is to go from keeping a box of gifts on hand to a whole closet full! I met someone who had a candle closet; whenever she opened the closet she got a nice whiff of the delicious candles. I'd like to have a closet full of gifts, wrapping paper, bows and ribbons to reach in and grab the perfect gift for whatever the occasion: birthdays, thank you's, Christmas, or just because.

So why this infatutation with giving gifts? I'd like to say it's because I've received the greatest gift of all: Jesus Christ. You know the verse "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son..." That's the greatest gift anyone could get and since I already have it, maybe that's why I have a desire to give to others... Well, this attitude could be goal of mine, but I'm not sure it's the total reason why I like giving.

Maybe I give because it's my "love language" - thank you, Gary Chapman. I read his book "Five Love Languages" a long time ago and don't really remember all his points, but maybe...

Whatever the reason, I'm glad that I like to give gifts! Did you know I also like surprises? My favorite surprise of all time was when I was travelling on choir tour in college and my entire family drove 10 hours to see me! They even picked up my G'ma and brought her along! What a fun memory!

Do you like giving and/or getting gifts? Have you received the greatest gift?

1 comment:

sara said...

Hi Bekah! Great post! I love giving gifts too, but am SOOO bad at it...I think and think and think and try to give what that person will love....but more often than not it is what I would want :(