Wednesday, June 4, 2014

{We, the Savers} March Post

Remember January's We, the Savers' post, when I won $100?! I was one of four grand prize winners! I recently saw that my article was posted on the official site. They did a wee bit of editing, but it's generally the same...

I started to write the below post back in March, but never finished it. I took a few minutes to finalize it, but I guess it's a little bit late to submit. Enjoy!



Let's time travel, Savers. What's saving & personal banking going to be like in 100 years?


Thinking about 100 years in the future makes me think...What was it like 100 years ago? In 2114 will anyone care what banking was like in 2014?

When I Googled to do some research about 1914 the first thing that I found was that the Federal Reserve was created 100 years ago. I don't know much about the Federal Reserve or even 100 years ago. I do know 100 years ago they didn't have online banking or bill pay. Did they have free checking?

One banker wrote about his grandfather who opened a bank in 1913: "He wanted to help people save money to purchase their first home, send their kids to college, launch a small business or simply save for a rainy day." 100 years later I think those are the same reasons people use a bank today, and I think that will be the same in another 100 years.

My grandpa was born in 1916 so he would have 100 in another two years. My grandpa passed away in 1995, but he was a saver. I wish he here now for me to ask him about banking back just 80 years ago when he was starting out. When did you open your first bank account? When did you start your first savings account? How much did you open the account with? How big was your first paycheck? What was your biggest paycheck ever? When did you start saving for retirement? Would you do it anything different? Did you give my dad an allowance? 

My grandparents weren't necessarily rich, but I always considered them wealthy for more reasons than just money. I'm very thankful for the Christian heritage they gave me. The values they taught to their children have been passed down to multiple generations.

Speaking of family...I'm looking forward to a family reunion in just a few weeks. Even though my grandparents are no longer with us, I look forward to getting together with my aunts, uncles, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd cousins! We're meeting up in Kansas City. It's going to be fun!

But back to the 100 years in the future topic...Looking forward 100 years is tough to do, but I don't think you can do it without looking backwards. Now looking back (and re-reading this post) I see it leaves me with more questions than answers: What am I saving for? Or maybe, WHO am I saving for? What is my legacy?

Bekah was born in Kansas, raised in Wisconsin, and lived three years on Guam. Her Midwest roots go deep though, since she has been a Minnesota resident for almost seven years. Bekah commits daily to serve God, to be healthy, and strives to be financially fit.

This post was originally written in order to participate in CapitalOne 360s WE the SAVERS's blog contest, but was never submitted.

No comments: