Tuesday, November 27, 2007

This I Know...

Jesus loves me, this I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but he is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
The Bible tells me so.

Yes, it's a kid's song I've sung since I could sing, but simple truths are often most meaningful. I want to make sure others in my life know the Truth of this song.

My Testimony

I had the privilege of growing up in a Christian home. My dad was saved as a child and my mom was saved as a young teen. My dad's parents were also Christians. My mom's parents were Methodist, but I don't know if they were saved. My family moved from Kansas to Wisconsin when I was 4 ½. We attended church whenever the doors were open.

Growing up in a Christian home allowed me the privilege of learning about the gospel at a very young age. At the age of 5 I remember I made a profession of faith. I wanted to get saved, I thought I had done what was needed to be saved. At the age of 12 I was baptized. I'm sure that my motivation for baptism was mainly because it was expected of me (and I thought I wanted to do what was right). I doubted my salvation many times during junior high, high school, and college, and I attempted several times to pray assurance into my life.

I was generally a good kid and tried to do what was right, but something was missing. My senior year in high school, my parents moved back to Kansas and I stayed in Watertown. My sister stayed in Watertown to attend college; she was a sophomore. I also attended the college in Watertown. Because it sounded like a fun thing and was something college students did, I even worked two summers at a Christian camp.

After college I had the opportunity to go to work for a ministry on Guam. I was never intersted in being a missionary (especially far from home), but a college friend of mine had been on Guam for two years and told me how great it was. A few other work opportunities I pursued during my last semester did not work out, so I took the position on Guam. It was on Guam where I heard a convicting message on the Holy Spirit and another message on repentance. During the message on the Holy Spirit I tried to think of times when the Holy Spirit had comforted me or specifically guided me in my life. I knew then the "what" or "who" I was missing. A co-worker shared a scripture passage with me. I read the passage many times and that day the Lord worked in my heart. I truly believe that is when I was saved. Since that time I have a peace that I never had before. I have not doubted what God has done for me. Shortly after that I was baptized to symbolize what He had done for me.

I'm still amazed that Jesus Christ came to earth, died and rose again for me. He gave me a godly heritage and gave me enough time here on earth to come to know Him as my personal Lord and Savior. Just like Paul talks about in Philippians 3:13 & 14, I have a lot of growing yet to do. I'm thankful for the people He has put in my life to bring me closer to Him. It's a gift to be a part of God's family.

No comments: